National Data Buoy Center team helps mariners to weather storms

National Data Buoy Center team helps mariners to weather storms
The Coast Guardsmen at the National Data Buoy Center leverage more than 70 years of combined Aids to Navigation experience to maintain weather buoys on navigable waterways around the country. U.S. Coast Guard file photo. JOHN C. STENNIS SPACE CENTER, Miss. – A team of U.S. Coast Guardsmen at the National Data Buoy Center helps to maintain a nation-wide network of data collecting weather buoys. Five...

Coast Guard urges preparedness for 2019 hurricane season

Coast Guard urges preparedness for 2019 hurricane season
MIAMI — The Coast Guard reminds the public and mariners to prepare for the 2019 hurricane season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, with the peak occurring between mid-August and late October. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30%...

Coast Guard Station Monterey to host Safe Boating Open House Saturday

Coast Guard Station Monterey to host Safe Boating Open House Saturday
MONTEREY, Calif. — Personnel from Coast Guard Station Monterey, Coast Guard Auxiliary, Coast Guard Cutter Hawksbill, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Monterey Fire Department, California Fish and Wildlife, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, and California State Parks are scheduled to hold a free, public Safe Boating Open House, Saturday at 10 a.m. The event, which...

406 Day: National Campaign for Awareness of Emergency Locator Beacon Importance

406 Day: National Campaign for Awareness of Emergency Locator Beacon Importance
An EPIRB in front of a 25-foot Response Boat-Small moored in front of Coast Guard Station Curtis Bay, Md. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Robert Brazzell. NEW ORLEANS – Saturday, April 6, is 406 Day, a national campaign run by NOAA to spread awareness of the importance of emergency position indicating radio beacons, or EPIRBS, and personal locator beacons, or PLBs, in boating safety. In...

Coast Guard assists NOAA in whale disentanglement off Maui

Coast Guard assists NOAA in whale disentanglement off Maui
Coast Guard crewmembers from Station Maui assist National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration members to disentangle a humpback whale off Molokini, Maui, March 6, 2019.  (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Charles Sedberry) HONOLULU — The Coast Guard assisted National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration members in disentangling a humpback whale off Maui, Wednesday. The sub-adult...

Coast Guard terminates voyage for illegal fishing in Tortugas Ecological Reserve

Coast Guard terminates voyage for illegal fishing in Tortugas Ecological Reserve
The 83-foot commercial fishing vessel, Lady Kristie, near Tortugas Ecological Reserve, Feb. 21, 2019.  (Coast Guard Photo) MIAMI — The Coast Guard and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration terminated the voyage of the 83-foot commercial fishing vessel, Lady Kristie, with three people aboard Thursday after discovering multiple violations near Tortugas Ecological Reserve. Fishing in an ecological...

Cutter Healy returns home following 129-day Arctic deployment

Cutter Healy returns home following 129-day Arctic deployment
The Coast Guard Cutter Healy (WAGB-20), a polar-class ice breaker, transits Southeast Alaskan waters Nov. 24, 2018. The Healy is one of two ice breakers in U.S. service. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Lt. Kellen Browne. SEATTLE – The crew of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Healy returned home Friday to their homeport in Seattle following a four-month deployment in the Arctic. In addition to providing presence...

Fishing Boat Captain Sentenced for Interfering with Coast Guard Inspection

Fishing Boat Captain Sentenced for Interfering with Coast Guard Inspection
BOSTON – The former captain of a New Bedford fishing boat owned by Carlos Rafael, a/k/a “The Codfather,” was sentenced today in federal court in Boston for interfering with a U.S Coast Guard inspection of a fishing boat off the Massachusetts coast. Thomas D. Simpson, 57, of South Portland, Maine, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Indira Talwani to two years of probation, with the first...

Coast Guard aircrew medevacs NOAA observer from vessel off Washington Coast

Coast Guard aircrew medevacs NOAA observer from vessel off Washington Coast
Coast Guard  MH-60 helicopter file photo WARRENTON, Ore. — A Coast Guard aircrew medically evacuated an ill man off a factory trawler underway 30 miles off the Washington Coast, Friday Night. An aircrew aboard an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Coast Guard Sector Columbia River safely hoisted the 24-year-old man and flew him to awaiting emergency medical services, which transported him to Columbia...