Crew of Overdue Fishing Boat Found

KODIAK, Alaska – Four people reported overdue from a fishing trip Friday were found safe in a life raft about 17 miles south west of Halibut Bay in Shelikof Strait.The 48 year old man, his 18 year old son and daughter and his 15 year old niece were located in their life raft by the NOAA research vessel Sea Storm at 10:30 a.m. All four were cold but reportedly in good condition when rescued. They are scheduled to arrive in Kodiak this evening aboard the Sea Storm. The NOAA vessel was operating in the search area when they spotted the raft.

The four individuals abandoned ship Wednesday at 11 p.m., near Jute Bay where the fishing vessel Magnum sank. The Coast Guard will be conducting an investigation into the sinking.

At 3 p.m., Friday the fishing vessel Magnum and its crew were reported overdue to the Coast Guard by concerned family members in Kodiak. The 56-foot seiner was scheduled to travel from Wide Bay on the Alaska Peninsula and arrive in Kodiak Harbor Thursday afternoon. The vessel and crew are from Kodiak.

The Coast Guard initiated a search pattern which covered the whole of Shelikof Strait two times over, to include the entire west shore of Kodiak Island and the opposing shore of the Alaska Peninsula where Wide and Jute Bay are located.

Aircraft from Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak searched from 3:15 p.m., Friday until 1 a.m., this morning before temporarily ending the search. At about 4 a.m., the Coast Guard Cutter Spar arrived in the search area and began a shoreline search. At 5 a.m., a first light search was conducted by an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter. A ground search team from Kodiak with a dog was also aboard the Jayhawk. An HH-65 Dolphin helicopter was also launched to search the east side of Kodiak Island.

Coast Guard assets included Jayhawk and Dolphin helicopters and HC-130 Hercules airplanes from Air Station Kodiak. The search also included the Spar, home ported in Kodiak. Coast Guard flight crews were recalled from Cordova and Sitka to assist with the extensive search. Coast Guard air assets searched for about 30 hours.

The names of the individuals rescued are not available at this time.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.