Coast Guard suspends search for missing kayaker near Milford, Conn.

NEW YORK – The Coast Guard has suspended the search for a kayaker reported missing Sunday near Milford, Conn., at 8 p.m. today pending further developments.

Fengquan Guan, of Beijing, who was described as wearing a black sweater, black jeans, a dark gray lifejacket with black trim and using a gray two-person kayak, was reported missing at about 2 p.m. Sunday by a friend that he was visiting in Milford.

The Coast Guard re-opened the search for Guan after a kayak was found today matching the description of the one he was using when he was reported overdue Sunday. The person who reported Guan missing Sunday – a friend he was visiting in Milford, who owned the kayak – verified with the Coast Guard that the kayak found today was the same one used by Guan.

The kayak was found at approximately 9:50 a.m. today, swamped along the high tide line at Goldsmith Inlet, on Long Island’s North Shore approximately 15 miles from Riverhead, N.Y. The Southold, N.Y., Police Department found the kayak and then reported the information to Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound, prompting the re-opening of the search in Long Island Sound.

The Coast Guard focused the new search effort based on where the kayak was found, and conducted a 100 square mile search of the area around Goldsmith Inlet on the North Shore of Long Island from Mattituck Inlet to Greenport, N.Y., today with a rescue boat crew from Station New Haven, Conn., a rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Cape Cod and the Coast Guard Cutter Chinook, from New London, Conn. The Suffolk County, N.Y., Police Department Aviation Unit also participated in the search today.

The decision to suspend a search is based on several factors, including the effect of air and water temperatures upon a person, wind and sea conditions, clothing and personal protective equipment worn and build of the person. These factors determine the probable survivability of a person in or on the water.

Rescue boat crews from Coast Guard Station New Haven, the Coast Guard Cutter Sailfish, Milford Police and Fire Department, West Haven Fire Department, East Haven Fire Department, Branford Fire Department, New Haven Police Department and the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, and aviation rescue crews from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod and Suffolk County Police Aviation participated in the original air and water searches.

Weather was reported as two to three-foot seas, winds at 12 to 18 miles-per-hour and the water temperature around 50 degrees throughout the search today.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.