Coast Guard Station Oregon Inlet Kept Busy with Multiple Cases

NAGS HEAD, N.C. – A Coast Guard rescue crew from Station Oregon Inlet medivaced an ailing crewmember onboard the Army Corps of Engineers Dredge Merritt, this morning.

Coast Guard Station Oregon Inlet was contacted by captain of the Dredge Merritt who was requesting assistance for a 38-year-old crewmember who was experiencing severe back pain and numbness in his legs and feet.

A rescue crew on board a 47-foot Motor Lifeboat from the station was dispatched to the barge where they stabilized the patient and transferred him to EMS personnel onshore.

The crewman was then taken to the Outer Banks Hospital in Nags Head, N.C., for further treatment.

“This was a case where we were able to help those who help us. The Army Corps provides an essential service in keeping the channels in and around Oregon Inlet open. While we wish the best for their crewmember, we are pleased that our partnership with the Dare County EMS and Nags Head Fire Department enabled us to get him to the hospital as safely and expeditiously as possible,” said Lt. Cmdr. Dave Obermeier, Supervisor, Coast Guard Sector Field Office Cape Hatteras.

Shortly after completing the medevac, the versatility of the crew at Oregon Inlet got put to the test as they responded to an unmanned 19 foot runaway skiff.

The skiff’s owner, a Virginia man, was on his way out to start a day of fishing in Oregon inlet when he hit a wake and fell out of his boat.

The man swam to the safety of a nearby shoal. A nearby boater who witnessed the incident called Station Oregon Inlet to report the runaway skiff.

A Coast Guard crew onboard a 21-foot utility boat was launched to assist.

After ensuring that the owner/operator was safe in another vessel, the crew of the CG boat crew was able to throw lines at the boats propeller and slow it boat down considerably, the crew then created a wake to force the boat over toward a nearby shoal were it eventually ran aground.

After securing the boat and removing it from the sand bar, the vessel was returned to the owner and he motored back to the fishing center with no injuries to report.

“I’m extremely proud of the men and women the serve at this station. Days like today highlight their professionalism, dedication, and readiness to respond to any situation” I’m thankful that no one attempted to board the runaway vessel or get in it’s way but instead they did the prudent thing and steered clear. In talking to the operator, he stated that he realizes now the importance of using the installed “kill switch” which, if used, would have averted this entire case.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.