Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound scheduled to once again open historic lighthouse

Stratford Point Lighthouse

Stratford Point Lighthouse

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound is scheduled to once again open the historic Stratford Point Lighthouse for public tours on Saturday.

The lighthouse, located at 1275 Prospect Drive, Stratford, Connecticut, will be open for public tours from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. rain or shine.

There will be Coast Guard mission education displays set-up as well as food, beverages, and Coast Guard souvenirs available for purchase.

The property, which is traditionally closed to the public, is owned and maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard and includes the keeper’s house, which serves as government housing.

“Over 2,300 people attended our first lighthouse tour this summer,” said Capt. Ed Cubanski, commander Sector Long Island Sound. “We listened to the entire community during that event, which indicated a strong public interest in historical tourism that New England is famous for.  The public pleaded with us to open the lighthouse more regularly and on October 17th will we honor their request.”

The first light on Stratford Point was a wooden, octagonal structure built in 1822 and was replaced with the current cast iron tower in 1881.

Lighthouses were first managed by the U.S. government in 1789, with the creation of the U.S. Lighthouse Establishment, later becoming the U.S. Lighthouse Service.

The U.S. Coast Guard took charge of lighthouses on July 1, 1939, when the services merged.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.