Coast Guard, San Francisco Fire Dept. recover 3 from capsized canoe off Coyote Point

cg-D11SAN FRANCISCO — The Coast Guard and the South San Francisco Fire Department have recovered all three individuals reported missing after their canoe capsized off Coyote Point in San Francisco Bay Monday night.

At approximately 10:20 p.m. Monday, Coast Guard Sector San Francisco received a report from South San Francisco Fire Department that three people departed Oyster Point Marina in a 12-foot orange canoe to fish near Coyote Point but had not returned as expected. Upon learning their vehicle was still in the marina parking lot, the Coast Guard dispatched a Coast Guard Station San Francisco 45-foot Response — Boat Medium boatcrew and a rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco. The South San Francisco Fire Department also dispatched a marine unit and established an incident command post at Oyster Point Marina.

At 1:20 a.m. Tuesday, the crew aboard the South San Francisco Fire marine unit heard a cry for help while searching about one mile off Coyote Point. The crew notified the Coast Guard helicopter who diverted to the area and found one of the individuals in the water. The Coast Guard helicopter hovered over the individual with a spot light as the marine unit boat crew pulled the individual from the water. The individual was met landside by emergency medical personnel, who transported her to Daly City Hospital for evaluation.

Shortly thereafter at 1:53 a.m., the Coast Guard helicopter crew located and vectored in the Coast Guard 45-footer boatcrew, who recovered a second individual from the water. The unconscious and unresponsive individual was transferred to the South San Francisco Fire marine unit, and then transported landside to Peninsula Hospital in Burlingame.

The Coast Guard and South San Francisco Fire Department were assisted on the water at different points by a Menlo Park Fire airboat and an Oakland Police Department marine unit. San Mateo County and many generous members of the public assisted in the effort by searching the shoreline in the area as well.

At 8:50 a.m. Tuesday, the Coast Guard helicopter crew located a third individual face down in one to two feet of water south of Coyote Point. The individual, who matched the description of the third individual in the canoe, was unconscious and unresponsive when recovered by the helicopter rescue swimmer.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the individuals involved in last night’s tragedy,” said Capt. Greg Stump, commander, Sector San Francisco. “The outpouring of assistance from both the local response agencies and the public who searched the shoreline at first light, is a testament to the spirit of the local community members and public agencies.”

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.