Coast Guard rescues woman off Peterborg Point in Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — A Coast Guard Boat Forces Saint Thomas rescue crew rescued a woman Thursday afternoon, approximately half a mile off the coast of Perterborg Point in Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

“This case demonstrates the extremely high level of dedication and professionalism on the part of our Coast Guard crews and serves to remind everyone of the power and unpredictable nature of the ocean,” said Chief Petty Officer Shachar BenDavid, Boat Forces Saint Thomas supervisor. “The close cooperation between the Coast Guard and our local partner agencies was a key factor in the successful outcome of this case. The efforts by the parties involved, and the perseverance of the individual in the water were quite remarkable, and undoubtedly resulted in her life being saved.”

Coast Guard Boat Forces in Saint Thomas received a call from a 911 emergency operator at 2:45p.m. Thursday, who notified them of the developing situation.

The rescued woman and four of her friends, three men and a woman, reportedly were on the rocks when they got knocked over into the water by a large wave. The four friends were able to swim out from the surf and make it back onto the rocks, while the rescued woman was overcome by a second wave and a strong current which pulled her out to sea.

Coast Guard Boat Forces Saint Thomas responded to the call and launched a Coast Guard 29-foot Response Boat Small II to carry out the rescue. Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector San Juan also launched an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen.

Upon arriving on scene, the Coast Guard boat crew established communications with the land based Saint Thomas Volunteer First Response Rescue Squad that vectored them to the woman’s position. Despite a six-foot ground swell, the Coast Guard response boat maneuvered into position and safely recovered the woman from the water. The Coast Guard boat crew proceeded to render first aid to the woman who sustained laceration injuries during the ordeal.

The woman was transported to National Park facilities in Red Hook, where she was transferred to awaiting Emergency Medical Services personnel and taken to a local hospital to receive further medical care.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.