Coast Guard rescues 2 kite surfers in distress near Oyster Point Marina

Coast Guard Cutter Pike file photo

Coast Guard Cutter Pike file photo

SAN FRANCISCO — The Coast Guard rescued two kite surfers in distress near Oyster Point Marina Saturday evening.

Coast Guard Sector San Francisco watchstanders received a report at approximately 7:45 p.m., that two kite surfers were expected to return to Oyster Point Marina at 5:30 p.m., but never returned. One individual, the student, was kite surfing while the other, the instructor, was on a jet ski.

Coast Guard Sector San Francisco dispatched the Coast Guard Cutter Pike, a Coast Guard Station San Francisco 45-foot Response Boat-Medium boat crew and an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter rescue crew from Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco to assist.

San Mateo county dispatch launched a South San Francisco fire crew, a Foster City fire crew and Oyster Point Harbor Master.

At approximately 9:15 p.m., the Coast Guard Cutter Pike discovered the two individuals clinging to a navigational buoy near Oyster Point Marina. The students kite surfers kite became entangled on a navigations buoy and rendered inoperable. As the instructor on the jet ski attempted to assist the student he fell off his jet ski and it got away from him. The two of them became stranded in the water and clinging on the navigation buoy and was therefore reported missing when they did not return. Neither person was wearing life jackets.

Once on scene, the crew retrieved the individuals and transferred them to awaiting emergency medical services personnel at the Oyster Point Marina who determined that there was no further medical treatment necessary.

“Kite surfing cases are common in the San Francisco Bay,” said Lt. j.g. James Alling, a Sector San Fransisco Command Duty Officer. “We advise kite boarders to keep a water-proof marine band radio with them, as that is the quickest way to contact the Coast Guard in emergency situations.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.