While searching in the vicinity of the ship’s last known position 35 nautical miles northeast of Crooked Islands, Bahamas, the Coast Guard located a deceased person in a survival suit in the water.
A heavily damaged life boat with markings consistent with those on board the El Faro was also located. Additional items located include a partially submerged life raft, life jackets, life rings, cargo containers and an oil sheen were located by Coast Guard aircrews within a 225 square nautical mile search area.
Multiple crews continue to search for survivors from the El Faro. Assets involved in the search include:
- Two Coast Guard HC-130 Hercules airplane from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Florida
- Two Navy P-8 fixed wing airplanes
- One Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Florida
- Coast Guard Cutter Northland, a 210-foot medium endurance cutter homeported in Portsmouth, Virginia
- Coast Guard Cutter Resolute, a 210-foot medium endurance cutter homeported in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Coast Guard Cutter Charles Sexton, a 154-foot fast response cutter homeported in Key West, Florida.
- Three commercial tugboats
Sea and weather conditions during today’s search include one-foot seas and 15 knots winds with unrestricted visibility.