From the Bridge Wing 9-30-2013

Bridge Wing

This Day in Coast Guard History:

1899 – First Navy wireless message was sent via the Lighthouse Service Station at Highlands of Navesink, New Jersey.

1943 – Coast Guard Cutter E.M. Wilcox foundered off Nags Head, NC. One crewman was lost.

1949 – The rank of Commodore, established in 1943 as a wartime measure, was terminated by the President under the provisions of an Act of Congress approved 24 July 1941.

1977 –  Coast Guard Cutter Taney departed Ocean Station Hotel on 30 September 1977 when the station was closed and replaced by a buoy. This was the final ocean station patrolled by a Coast Guard cutter.

1994 – The crew of Coast Guard LORAN Station Marcus Island decommissioned their station and turned it over to the Japanese Maritime Safety Agency. This was the last station in the Northwest Pacific LORAN chain to be decommissioned and turned over to the Japanese under a 1992 agreement between the two countries.

1997 –  Coast Guard Omega Navigation Station Hawaii ceased operation, coinciding with the end of worldwide Omega transmissions.

Video

The crew of an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Astoria safely rescues the skipper of the 40-foot long sailboat, The Rock, more than 14 miles off shore of Tillamook Harbor, Ore., Sept. 28, 2013. A severe fall storm with winds of more than 25 mph and waves of more than 20 feet caused the sailor to request assistance from the Coast Guard. U.S. Coast Guard video.

Related Posts

Comments are closed.