From the Bridge Wing 10-5-2013

Bridge Wing

This Day in Coast Guard History:

1938 – The newly established “Coast Guard Reserve” (what would become the Coast Guard Auxiliary) enrolled its first members.

1943 – Patrol Squadron 6 (VP-6 CG) was officially established.  This was an all Coast Guard unit.  Its home base was at Narsarssuak, Greenland, code name Bluie West-One.  It had nine PBY-5As assigned.  CDR Donald B. MacDiarmid, USCG, was the first commanding officer.  As additional PBYs became available, the unit’s area of operation expanded and detachments were established in Argentia, Newfoundland and Reykjavik, Iceland, furnishing air cover for Navy and Coast Guard vessels.   Hundreds of rescue operations and aerial combat patrols were carried out during the 27 months the squadron was in operation.

Blogs

Shipmate of the Week:  AUX Ron Clark – Coast Guard Compass blog

Air Station Sacramento executes a wide range of Coast Guard missions for the Eastern Pacific Area; from the entire west coast of the United States, areas west of Canada and south along the Baja California coast. Carrying out missions such as search and rescue and marine and environmental, the air station maintains a 24-hour immediate response capability, with a “ready” crew on duty at all times. One of the dedicated crewmembers who stands this watch is Auxiliarist Ron Clark.

Elsewhere

Federal judge orders Coast Guard to halt contract performance – Washington Business Journal

A federal judge has sided with an Arlington-based contractor, ordering a defense agency to stop performance under a contract. Millennium Corp. sued the federal government in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims Sept. 27, asking the judge to order the U.S. Coast Guard to halt performance on an awarded contract until the Government Accountability Office returns a decision on a filed protest.

Related Posts

Comments are closed.