Coast Guard crews, along with local agencies, searched for a missing 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Tybee Island since Monday. The individual has not been located.
A Coast Guard investigation has led to information indicating this case may be a possible hoax. The Coast Guard will further investigate this case in close partnership with local authorities.
Coast Guard crews covered approximately 2,584 square miles over a period of 40 hours.
Coast Guard crews searched aboard the following assets:
- HC-130 Hercules airplanes from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Florida
- MH-65 Dolphin helicopters from Coast Guard Air Station Savannah
- Coast Guard Station Tybee Island boatcrews
- Coast Guard Cutter Chinook
- Coast Guard Auxiliary boatcrews and aircrews
Local agencies involved in the search include crews from:
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- Savannah-Chatham Metro Police
- Tybee Island Fire Department
The Coast Guard was notified of the situation on Monday by local authorities and began the search soon after.