NEW HAVEN, Conn. − Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound is scheduled to host its annual open house event in New Haven, Saturday Saturday, May 16th 10 a.m. – 2 p.m..
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, the governor of Connecticut, has designated this year’s summer as “Connecticut’s Coast Guard Summer” in honor of the Coast Guard’s 225 year lifesaving legacy.
Saturday, also marks the beginning of National Safe Boating Week (NSBW), a year-long campaign that promotes safe and responsible boating.
This is a great opportunity for the public to learn about potentially lifesaving boating and paddle sport safety for all ages. Attendees will be able to meet and interact with local Coast Guard, Coast Guard Auxiliary members and multiple federal, state and local public safety partners in the community.
Activities and attractions are free to the public and include boating and paddle sport safety and education, military band concerts, numerous exhibits and demonstrations throughout the event showing off the latest technology of the community’s public safety agencies and the expertise of our members. Tours aboard several vessels will also be available along with several demonstrations.
Food and beverages will be available for sale throughout the day with proceeds going to the local Coast Guard Officers and Chief Petty Officers Association. The Coast Guard exchange will also be open to the public to purchase Coast Guard memorabilia.
Here’s what you can expect to see and do during the open house:
- 10 a.m., Gates open, HC-144 Over flight
- 10 a.m., “Coastie,” the safety tugboat arrives
- 10:30 a.m., Singing of the National Anthem by Coast Guard Auxiliarist Shelly Dobrin; opening remarks by Capt. Ed Cubanski, III, Commander, Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound
- 10:45 a.m., 5K fun run benefiting the Coast Guard Foundation Run to Remember, a free event open to the public
- 11 p.m., Performance by the Coast Guard Band Jazz Ensemble
- 12 p.m., Paddle craft sport safety demonstration
- 1 p.m., West Shore Fire Department amphibious vessel demonstration
- 2 p.m., Event closes
Coast Guard units that will be in attendance:
- Station New Haven
- Aids to Navigation Team Long Island Sound
- Coast Guard Band
- Coast Guard Recruiting
- Coast Guard Academy representatives
- Research and Development Center
- Coast Guard Museum representatives
- Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Coast Guard Exchange
Local public safety agencies that will be in attendance:
- Connecticut State Police Marine and Dive team
- Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
- 14th Civil Support Team
- New Haven Sea Scouts and Marine Cadets
- Changing Tides Paddle craft