NEW YORK – Coast Guard crews are searching for a missing paddle boarder in the vicinity of Atlantic Beach, New York, Sunday.
Missing is Gary Turkel, 41-year-old male, who was last seen wearing blue shorts and a white t-shirt.
At approximately 6:15 p.m. watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound were notified by the Nassau County Fire Department with a report of a missing person in the water.
A family member called local authorities and stated Turkel had gone out on a paddle board near the coast of Atlantic Beach and had not returned. A lifeguard on Atlantic Beach reported, he had last seen Turkel at approximately 3:30 p.m. on the paddle board without a life jacket.
Assisting in the search are:
- A Coast Guard Station Jones Beach 47-Motor Lifeboat crew
- A Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, New Jersey MH-65 Dolphin helicopter
- The Coast Guard Cutter Bonito, an 87-foot patrol boat homeported in Montauk, New York
- An HC-144 Ocean Sentry crew from Air Station Cape Cod
- Crews from the Nassau County Marine Unit and Helicopter Unit
- Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Department
If anyone has any information regarding Turkel, please call Sector Long Island Sound at 203-468-4401.