NEW YORK – Coast Guard and local partner agency crews are searching for a person in the water after responding to an overturned vessel near Port Jefferson Harbor, New York, Tuesday.
Missing is a 52-year-old man, last seen wearing a green shirt and jeans.
At approximately 6:00 p.m., watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound received a report of a capsized 23-foot recreational vessel near Fire Island Inlet.
A Coast Guard Station Fire Island boatcrew immediately launched to respond. Shortly after arriving on scene, the boatcrew rescued one person from the water near the capsized vessel and safely transferred another person who was rescued by a good Samaritan. The rescued people notified the boatcrew there is still one more person who is missing.
Assets involved with the search include:
- An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod
- A Coast Guard Station Fire Island smallboat crew
- A Coast Guard Station Jones Beach smallboat crew
- New York Police Department Aviation
- New York Police Department Dive
- Suffolk County Marine and Air Units
A Suffolk County Marine vessel towed the overturned vessel to Captrees Marina in Babylon, New York.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the missing boater, is asked to contact the Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound Command Center at (203) 468-4401.