PORTSMOUTH, Va. — The Coast Guard and local agencies are searching for a person in the water near Virginia Beach Sunday.
Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads received a report at 2:10 p.m. that a 20-year-old African American male went underwater without resurfacing in the vicinity of Smith Island near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.
The man was wading from the beach to a pontoon boat approximately 20 feet offshore and fell underwater at about 2 p.m. He was last seen wearing khaki shorts and no shirt. He was not wearing a life jacket.
Involved in the search are:
• Coast Guard Station Cape Charles 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew
• Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew
• Coast Guard Cutter Cochito crew
• Virginia Marine Police
• Virginia Beach Fire Department
• Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
Anyone with information should contact Sector Hampton Roads at 757-668-5555.