CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The Coast Guard is continuing its search for a Navy T-34 aircraft in the vicinity of Port O’Connor, Thursday.
On Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009, watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Corpus Christi received a call from the Navy Corpus Christi base tower at 4 p.m., reporting that an air traffic controller had lost communication with a T-34 training aircraft at approximately 3:20 p.m.
The Coast Guard is currently searching an area between Port O’Connor and Port Aransas, extending approximately 30 miles from the shoreline and approximately 25 miles inland, including the surrounding bays. The total area searched to date is approximately 4,500 square miles.
The following assets have been utilized in this search and rescue effort:
- Customs and Border Protection P3 aircraft
- Texas Department of Public Safety aircraft
- Coast Guard HH-65C Dolphin helicopter
- Coast Guard HU-25 Falcon jet
- Coast Guard Station Port Aransas Response Boat-Medium
- Coast Guard Station Port O’Connor Response Boat-Small
- Coast Guard Cutter Steelhead, 87-foot patrol boat
- Coast Guard Auxiliary aircraft