Coast Guard Auxiliary Division 13 recognized for an outstanding year of service

KEY WEST, Fla. -- Members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Ocracoke in Key West Dec. 15, 2010. Coast Guard Sector Key West hosted 26 members of Coast Guard Auxiliary District 7, Division 13 in appreciation and recognition for an exemplary year of service for 2010. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Lt. Anna K. Dixon.

Members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary aboard the Cutter Ocracoke

KEY WEST, Fla. — Coast Guard Sector Key West hosted 26 members of Coast Guard Auxiliary District 7, Division 13 Wednesday in appreciation and recognition for an exemplary year of service for 2010.

The Auxiliarists in attendance were given a tour of Sector Key West, a harbor cruise on the Coast Guard Cutter Ocracoke, and a tour aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Ingham Maritime Museum and National Historic Landmark, which is a Coast Guard cutter decommissioned in 1988 and now permanently located in the port of Key West.

Coast Guard Auxiliary District 7, Division 13 is divided into five flotillas and consists of more than 350 volunteers in the Florida Keys, spanning from Ocean Reef, Fla., to Key West. In 2010 alone, Division 13 members volunteered their valuable time and resources to operate their personal aircraft and smallboats in support of the Coast Guard’s missions, saving the federal government $3.09 million in operating costs in the Florida Keys.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is the uniformed, volunteer component of the Coast Guard, whose members assist the active duty Coast Guard in all mission areas except law enforcement and national defense. Originally founded in 1939 as the Coast Guard Reserve and later re-designated as the Auxiliary in 1941, its 28,000 members donate millions of hours in support of Coast Guard missions. For more information about the Coast Guard Auxiliary, visit the Division 13 website.

Related Posts

Comments are closed.